The Musical Surroundings Phonomena range of phono stages are built
in California and designed by renowned phono stage designer Michael Yee. They are innovative, versatile with wide ranges of loading
and gain setting and sound great.
The new Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage from Michael Yee is a replacement
for the award winning Phonomena. The Phonomena II is based on the existing Nova Phonomena but without the battery pack.
The Phonomena II was introduced at the 2008 CES Show together with a Benz Micro SLR cartridge and the sound was magic!
Built in California, the Phonomena II is a phono stage with incredible flexibility and performance. Based on the discrete,
circuit developed by designer Michael Yee for the Nova, the Phonomena II has rear panel accessible switches for gain and
The Phonomena II is a complete phonograph preamplifier with RIAA equalization that amplifies the output signal of a phonograph
cartridge, either moving-coil or moving-magnet, up to a nominal "line level". The Phonomena II may be used with a receiver or
an integrated amplifier. If you use separate components, a line level control unit (preamplifier) is required before the power
amp, since there is no independent volume control for the Phonomena II unit. The Phonomena II's power supply connects to the
wall with the supplied wall-mount transformer.
Gain Switches: 40, 44, 46, 48, 50, 51.5, 52.7, 53.7, 56, 57.5, 58.4, 59.4, 60dB
Input Loading Switches:
30, 40, 50, 59, 80, 100, 121, 150, 243, 280, 380, 475, 660, 1k, 2k, 50k, 100k Ohms
Nova Phonomena |
Built in California, the Nova Phonomena is a battery powered phono stage
with incredible flexibility and performance. Based on the discrete, dual mono circuit developed by designer Michael Yee for the
SuperNova, the Nova has rear panel accessible switches for gain and loading. It features 2 rechargeable internal NiMH dual mono
battery packs with Smart Sensing auto recharge feature. All AC and charging circuits automatically disconnect when listening
in battery mode. The Nova features a cool proximity detection switch on the front panel with status LEDs for changing mode.
The Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena is a complete phonograph preamplifier with RIAA equalization that amplifies
the output signal of a phono cartridge, either moving coil or moving magnet, up to a nominal "line level". The Nova Phonomena
may be used with a receiver or an integrated amplifier. If you use separate components, a line level control unit (preamp) is
required before the power amp, since there is no independent volume control for the Nova Phonomena. The Nova's power supply is
internal and connnects to the wall with the supplied wall mount transformer.
40, 44, 46, 48, 50, 51.5, 52.7, 53.7, 56, 57.5, 58.4, 59.4, 60dB
Input Loading Switches:
200pF/300pF, 30, 40, 50, 59, 80, 100, 121, 150, 243, 280, 380, 475, 660, 1k, 2k, 50k, 100k Ohms
The SuperNova is a three input phono preamp intended for use with more
than one turntable or a turntable with more than one tonearm. There is user adjustable loading and gain for each of the inputs.
The loading and gain is set via switches and is accessible from the rear of the chassis.
The SuperNova switching between the inputs does not actually switch the inputs and loading. Instead, it has three independent
front ends--the current source is switched to the one that will be active. The outputs are summed into the backend circuitry. In
this way no switching occurs in the signal path when not using the switched attenuator.
The SuperNova is fully dual mono and is powered from a remote dual mono power supply. The remote power supply supports NiMH
rechargeable batteries but is designed to work perfectly without the batteries.
The batteries will allow the SuperNova to run completely isolated from the wall power for a period of 3 hours. There are 4
independent charging circuits for the 4 battery packs.
The SuperNova has an 11 position variable output switched attenuator that allows direct connection to a power amplifier.
• Handles 3 Phono Inputs.
• Gain user adjustable from 40 to 60 dB.
• Loading is user adjustable from 30 Ohms to 100kOhms.
• Independent Gain and Loading settings for each of the 3 Phono Inputs.
• There are no "signal path" switches except for switched attenuator if used.
• Normal "Line Out", and "Variable" outputs.
• The variable output Switched Attenuator can drive a power amp directly.
• Uses Large Area Monolithic Super Matched Pairs for lowest noise performance.
Remote Power Supply features:
• Rechargeable batteries.
• The charging circuits completely disconnect from the batteries when in battery mode.
• Optically coupled voltage monitors will wake up the processor to engage the charging of the batteries if the batteries
are discharged enough.
• Four, seven cell NiMH "AA" packs, one for each positive and negative power supply, and each channel.
• Four separate charging circuits.
• Positive and Negative battery packs are charged separately in case there is different current usage between positive and
negative power supplies. This prevents repeated overcharging one battery pack while undercharging the other.
• The batteries will be "topped off" by putting the unit into charge mode if there is no activity for a week.
• Fully Dual Mono even when not in Battery Mode.
• The power supply has been designed to sound excellent even without the batteries installed.
"What do you say about a product which you've already given a Golden Ear award when it is improved and it's price is dropped?
...this Nova remains, without apology or serious qualification, my new (affordable) reference - and very satisfyingly so."
- Paul Seydor, The Absolute Sound, June/July 2007, Issue 172